Friday, January 9, 2009

Finally arrived!

So I finally made it into Italy! Yay! It's been a very long two days but absolutely worth it. Yesterday we flew from Logan (in Boston) to Germany. That was a pretty long flight, about 7 hours, but Megan and I made the best of it. They gave us a lot of food which was of course great. However there on flight movie was Roads to Rodanthe...even for a movie on a plane it was abismal. Haha. Great choice Richard Gere.

From there we flew to Rome, got on a bus that took us to Perugia. Then got our papers, cell phones and checked into a hotel. My Italian cell phone number is 011 39 335 789 7973. Anyone is welcome to call me whenever they would like! Just keep in mind I am 6 hours ahead of everyone on the east coast and 9 hours ahead on the west!

Tomorrow we will move into our apartment, which I can not wait for. While the past two days have been hectic and exhilerating, I am so excited to get settled. I haven't really slept since I've gotten here, and I'm hoping that I will wake up in the right time zone tomorrow.

There have been some pretty interesting things I've seen since getting here. In the airports there are smoking areas. But they are just glass boxes in the middle of the airport. It was pretty funny to watch people smoking inside a glass box right next to you. I wanted to take a picture but I thought that would be creepy. Also in the bathrooms they don't have papertowels, they have clothes that you pull and use, and then they retract. While this isn't necessarily that funny or weird...imagine me and Megan trying to figure these out together (while sleep deprived). There are also bidehs here. I'm sure that's not the right spelling, but I assume you will know what I'm talking about. They scare me a bit. I also figured out why there aren't fat people here. If they got fat they wouldn't be able to use anything. The showers and beds are TINY!!! I am way to big for the beds esspecially. I have taken some pictures but won't get a chance to post them until the next time I get on a computer. Have fun laughing at the image of my trying to sleep in a teeny tiny bed.

I slept most of the bus ride over to Perugia, but once we got here (and I woke up) everything was beautiful. So many hills though! Hopefully walking to class will be my workouts while here. I plan on taking a lot of scenery pictures tomorrow so get ready!

That's all I have for my first night in Italy. Sorry if it wasn't too exciting. Hopefully after tomorrow I'll have some better stories to tell. Ciao!

4 comments:

  1. sounds awesome! i was gonna write on your fb and ask you how things were but decided to check your blog and all my questions were answered. keep posting, im living vicariously through you until i get to italy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey my girl, it sounds wonderful in Italy. I am sure that you will be caught up on your sleep in the next day or two and will truly be able to appreciate your adventure. Anytime you need or want to hear my voice, call me. I love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashley, Glad to hear that you made it to Italy safely. Love reading your blog as you know I am living through you and your Italian adventures. Keep the info coming as you know I will be a blog stalker. Love ya sweetie xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, i'm glad you've kept your sense of humor while sleep deprived. I can't wait to read your blog when you are fully rested! can't wait to see you in @10 weeks! We Love you. Dad

    ReplyDelete